What really happened to the British Man who fell overboard near Tenerife? Search teams race against time

 What really happened to the British Man who fell overboard near Tenerife? Search teams race against time

What really happened to the British Man who fell overboard near Tenerife? Search teams race against time

An intense maritime search is underway off the coast of Tenerife after a 76-year-old British man was reported missing from the Marella Explorer 2, an adult-only cruise vessel operated by TUI’s Marella Cruises.

The alarm was raised on Thursday morning when crew members discovered that the passenger was no longer on board. According to the cruise line, the man was seen entering the water while the ship was en route to La Gomera, one of Spain’s Canary Islands.



A spokesperson for the company described the incident as heartbreaking, noting that the cruise line’s care team is now supporting the man’s family as authorities continue the search. “We are working with local officials and offering every possible assistance during this difficult period,” the company said.

How the Incident Unfolded

The emergency began shortly before 10am local time. Passengers enjoying breakfast reportedly heard a loud alarm, immediately followed by the chilling announcement repeated three times: “Man overboard.” Witnesses say the atmosphere on board shifted instantly as crew members rushed outside to scan the waters.

One passenger, Lesley-Anne Kelly from Dundee, said the announcement was so sudden that many diners froze before crew members mobilized. She recounted how staff members fanned out across the decks, while passengers watched in silence as the ship slowed and rescue measures began.

By 9:48am, Spanish coastguard authorities had already received an alert from the vessel, which at the time was positioned roughly 16.5 nautical miles northwest of Punta Teno. Within minutes, a full-scale rescue operation was launched, involving multiple patrol boats, a rescue helicopter, and a search aircraft.

Search Efforts Continue

The ship remained stationary for hours after the initial alarm as the crew deployed marker buoys and conducted manoeuvres recommended under international “man overboard” protocols. The captain later informed passengers that they would not be allowed to leave position until the coastguard took over coordination of the search.



As daylight faded, the search was temporarily suspended due to poor visibility. Passengers described the mood on board as sombre, with many gathering at different points on the vessel to follow updates. The search resumed early Friday morning, with additional maritime support—including the Rio Guadiato patrol vessel—joining the operation.

Several passengers noted that the incident occurred during daylight and at a time when most people were up and about, making it likely that multiple witnesses saw the moment the man entered the water.

Where the Cruise Was Headed

Local reports indicate that the Marella Explorer 2 was traveling back towards the Canary Islands after leaving Madeira. The vessel, registered in Malta, carries more than 1,800 passengers across 14 decks.

The ship eventually docked at Santa Cruz de Tenerife in the early hours of Friday morning after participating in the search operation.

The UK Foreign Office has confirmed that it has not yet been contacted for consular assistance but noted that staff are prepared to support British nationals abroad whenever needed.



As of this morning, Spanish authorities continue to search the waters where the incident occurred, although no further updates have been issued regarding the missing passenger’s condition.

 FAQ

1. Who is the missing passenger?
A 76-year-old British man whose name has not been publicly disclosed.

2. Which ship did the incident occur on?
The Marella Explorer 2, an adult-only cruise ship operated by TUI’s Marella Cruises.

3. Where did the man fall overboard?
About 16.5 nautical miles northwest of Punta Teno, Tenerife.



4. Are the authorities still searching?
Yes, Spanish coastguards have resumed operations with helicopters, patrol boats, and specialised aircraft.

5. What caused the incident?
The cruise line said the man was “seen entering the water,” but further details are still being investigated.



Related post