Generator fume kills Nigerian students… here are safety tips you need

 Generator fume kills Nigerian students… here are safety tips you need

Two students from Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja tragically passed away after inhaling fumes emitted by a power generator positioned near the window of their apartment overnight. 

SP William Ovye Aya, the state Police Public Relations Officer, confirmed the incident, identifying the deceased as 20-year-old Bilikisu Eleojo and Ibrahim Haliru. 

READ ALSO: Tips to avoid being a victim of ATM card swap fraud 

The generator, placed close to their window, emitted carbon monoxide while they slept, leading to their untimely demise. Their lifeless bodies were discovered by neighbors early Thursday morning. Another student, Mercy Ojochegbe, was found alive and rushed to the hospital. 

Safety tips

Proper Ventilation

Always operate generators outdoors, away from doors, windows, and vents to prevent carbon monoxide buildup. Ensure there’s enough airflow to disperse fumes.


Place the generator in a well-ventilated area, at least 20 feet away from your home or any structure, in a dry location protected from rain.

Directional Exhaust

Point the exhaust away from occupied areas and in a direction where fumes won’t be drawn back indoors through windows or vents.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Install battery-operated or battery backup carbon monoxide detectors inside your home and near sleeping areas to alert you to any buildup of the gas.

Regular Maintenance

Keep your generator properly maintained, including checking for leaks, ensuring exhaust systems are intact, and replacing filters and spark plugs as needed.

Follow Manufacturer’s Instructions

Always adhere to the manufacturer’s guidelines regarding the safe operation and placement of your generator.

Avoid Enclosed Spaces

Never operate a generator in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces such as garages, basements, or crawl spaces, as this increases the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Be Alert to Symptoms

Learn the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. If you or anyone around you experiences these symptoms, immediately move to fresh air and seek medical attention.

Use Extension Cords Safely

If using extension cords, ensure they are rated for outdoor use and are in good condition. Avoid running cords through windows or doors where they can be pinched or damaged.

Shut Down Before Refueling

Turn off the generator and let it cool down before refueling to prevent spills and fires, as well as exposure to exhaust fumes.

By following these tips, you can greatly reduce the risk of being a victim of generator fumes and ensure the safe operation of your generator.

Related post