By Victor Akuma
The Nigeria Centre for Disease and Control (NCDC) on Friday night announced two cases of Coronavirus in Enugu state — the first in the south-east region — increasing the number of those infected with the virus to 81 nationwide.
“11 new cases of #COVID19 have been reported in Nigeria: 8 in Lagos, 2 in Enugu & 1 in Edo State As at 11:55pm 27th March, there are 81 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. 3 have been discharged with 1 death,” it wrote on its Twitter page.
11 new cases of #COVID19 have been reported in Nigeria: 8 in Lagos, 2 in Enugu & 1 in Edo State
— NCDC (@NCDCgov) March 27, 2020
Meanwhile, the Enugu state government has announced shutdown of all interstate borders as well as markets within the state as from March 31 in a bid to further combat spread of the killer virus.
The secretary to the state government, Simon Uchenna Ortuanya, who made this known in a statement, said all Local Government Chairmen must adhere to the directive to ensure there’s strict compliance especially as regards with the closure of markets within their respective local government councils.
The statement, however, noted some exceptions to the the directive. “Those dealing on food items, water, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment and other basic items of daily domestic need who must comply with the standard hygiene protocol as stipulated by the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC), including frequent hand washing with soap, use of sanitizer and social distancing.” Prof. Ortuanya said.
Out of the 81 COVID-19 cases in Nigeria, the country has recorded only 1 death with 3 already discharged.
With the eight newly confirmed cases in the state, Lagos remains the worst hit in Nigeria with 52 infected persons so far.