By Zainab Olawunmi
The federal government has discredited claims that it has approved the provision of free electricity for Nigerians for a period of two months.
In a tweet on Friday, the ministry of power announced that no decision has been made on the proposal.
“No decision has been taken by the federal government to provide Nigerians with free electricity for two months,” the tweet read.
“If and when that becomes a reality, it shall be announced officially. Be rest assured that FG is exploring ways to ameliorate any hardship on Nigerians.”
The ministry made the announcement after electricity distribution companies (DisCos) in the country said the federal government would bear the financial responsibility of the exercise.
The speaker of the house of representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, had earlier announced that the lower chamber is proposing a two-month free electricity supply for Nigerians through a second stimulus bill.
He said the measure is to cushion the effect of the lockdown which has taken effect in several states.
The electricity distribution companies (DisCos) had also said they are working on the modalities to provide free electricity to all Nigerians for two months.
Meanwhile, Nigeria currently has 288 confirmed cases, of which 51 patients have been discharged and seven deaths have been recorded.