What Really Happened Inside the Westhill Asylum Hotel? Four Men Charged After Weapon Recovered in Shock Assault
Emergency services descended on the Hampton by Hilton hotel in Westhill, Aberdeenshire, on Friday morning after reports of a violent disturbance involving several residents living at the accommodation, which has been used exclusively to house asylum seekers for the past two years. Police received a 999 call shortly before 10.45am, prompting a large-scale response that left the normally quiet area filled with police vehicles and security personnel.
According to Police Scotland, a 26-year-old man, believed to be staying at the hotel, was assaulted by a group of fellow residents during the incident. The man sustained a facial injury, and officers later confirmed that a weapon had been recovered from the scene. Initial reports indicated that three men were arrested at the hotel, but police have since confirmed that a fourth individual has now also been detained and charged in connection with the alleged attack.
Officers reassured the public that the disturbance was contained within the premises and that there was no broader danger to anyone outside the hotel or surrounding neighbourhood. Despite this, the large police presence caused considerable concern among locals, many of whom described being shocked to see such a high level of activity at a location that has rarely attracted public attention beyond ongoing debates about its use as asylum accommodation.
The hotel, which previously catered to visitors and business travellers, has been fully closed to the general public for at least two years. At the height of its occupancy, an estimated 300 asylum seekers were believed to be staying there, with many sharing rooms and receiving meal provision on site. Although numbers have fluctuated—partly due to transfers to other accommodation facilities in Aberdeen—the presence of residents has continued to be a subject of discussion within the Westhill community.
Some locals have previously expressed feeling overwhelmed by the scale of the accommodation plan, describing the situation as creating a sense of being “under siege”. Others have spoken about frequent demonstrations by protest groups who have regularly gathered outside the hotel in recent months, voicing opposition to the UK Government’s use of hotel spaces for asylum housing.
Following Friday’s incident, West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine MP Andrew Bowie said the situation was deeply concerning. He confirmed he had already contacted Police Scotland to discuss the security arrangements in place at the hotel and said he intended to seek further assurances for local residents.
“This is a worrying incident,” he said. “I’ve spoken with Police Scotland about what measures are being taken, and I will be following up on behalf of the local community. It is vital that officers are given the space they need to complete their investigations.”
A spokesperson for the Home Office also condemned the violence, stressing that safety within asylum accommodation remains a priority. “This is a horrific incident, and our thoughts are with those affected,” they said. “Violence of any kind within asylum facilities is unacceptable, and anyone involved in such behaviour will face the full consequences of the law. We remain committed to ensuring all asylum seekers are supported and protected.”
Police confirmed that the four men arrested have been charged and that a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal. Enquiries remain ongoing.
FAQs
1. Where did the incident take place?
At the Hampton by Hilton hotel in Westhill, Aberdeenshire.
2. How many people were arrested?
Four men have now been arrested and charged.
3. Was anyone injured?
Yes, a 26-year-old man sustained a facial injury.
4. Did police find a weapon?
Officers confirmed that a weapon was recovered at the scene.
5. Is the public at risk?
Police say the incident was contained and there is no wider threat.