Why are Enfield residents being told to lock their doors? RCMP hunt for armed suspect raises alarms

 Why are Enfield residents being told to lock their doors? RCMP hunt for armed suspect raises alarms

Why are Enfield residents being told to lock their doors? RCMP hunt for armed suspect raises alarms

Residents in parts of Enfield, Nova Scotia, were urged to remain indoors Saturday as Halifax District RCMP launched an urgent manhunt for a suspect believed to be armed and potentially dangerous. The tense situation unfolded late Saturday morning, prompting emergency alerts, road closures, and a significant police presence throughout the Oldham Road corridor.

Police say the incident began shortly after 11 a.m., when officers received multiple reports of a man seen carrying a firearm near the 100 block of Oldham Road. While there were no reports of shots fired, the mere presence of a weapon triggered an immediate and coordinated response from RCMP units across the region.



Authorities quickly deployed officers to the area and began searching on foot and by vehicle. Early descriptions indicated the suspect had tattoos on his face and was initially spotted wearing a white T-shirt. As the situation evolved, updated notices described him in a baby-blue T-shirt paired with navy-blue pants. Investigators believe he continues to be on foot.

At 11:37 a.m., officials issued an emergency alert advising residents in the Oldham Road and Rockcliffe Drive areas to stay indoors, lock all doors and windows, and avoid going outside until further notice. Police also cautioned residents not to offer a ride to anyone, emphasizing that the suspect might attempt to flee the area by approaching motorists or pedestrians.

Witnesses reported seeing police block off parts of Route 2 near Enfield, from north of the Big Stop to the intersection with Highway 214. Several residents expressed concern as officers armed with long guns combed wooded areas, using K9 teams and patrol units to track any movement.

RCMP said they had no indication that the suspect fired the weapon, but warned that the individual “should be considered armed and dangerous.” Officials continued to post updates through their online channels, asking anyone who notices suspicious behaviour—even something as small as a person walking in an unexpected area—to immediately call 911.

The tense atmosphere rippled through the community as families sheltered indoors, local businesses monitored alerts, and traffic slowed around police barricades. Route 2 remained significantly congested as vehicles were rerouted around the search zone.



Saturday’s emergency situation comes amid other high-profile investigations in Nova Scotia this week, including a separate homicide case and additional warnings involving individuals believed to be armed. The RCMP emphasized that while incidents involving firearms draw significant public attention, swift police response and community cooperation can reduce risk.

By late afternoon, officers continued searching, though no arrests had been made. Residents were reminded to monitor official RCMP channels for real-time updates and to avoid sharing unverified information online, which could hinder the investigation.

As the search intensified, authorities stressed one message above all: stay indoors, stay alert, and stay safe.

FAQ

1. What triggered the emergency alert in Enfield?
Reports of a man carrying a firearm in the Oldham Road area prompted police to issue a shelter-in-place alert.

2. Has the suspect fired any shots?
Police say there have been no confirmed reports of shots fired.



3. What does the suspect look like?
He has tattoos on his face and was last seen wearing a baby-blue T-shirt and navy-blue pants.

4. What should residents do?
Stay indoors, lock doors and windows, and immediately report anything suspicious to 911.

5. Are roads closed in the area?
Parts of Route 2 near Enfield have been blocked or heavily monitored due to the ongoing search.



Related post